You see the job of your dreams on Reed and you hesitate. Is it worth applying for it? Remember last time when you applied for a great job and you heard nothing back? Yes, I would maybe hesitate as well.
But there are hundreds of jobs available on the market and like the saying goes: there is plenty of fish in the sea!
Depending on where you left it, there might be few reasons why you were not given a call back. Read below and see which one applies to you.
Reasons you did not get selected for an interview:
- Did you actually send your CV? Many people send an email without an attachment (whether they realise this or not). When we receive 50 applications for one job, those with a CV will always receive a front row seat. It’s not about punishing someone, it’s about time or more likely, the lack of it.
- Do you tick the criteria? Every job has some mandatory requirements, such as previous experience in the industry, etc. These are necessary, therefore, if you don’t possess those qualities, you won’t be selected for an interview. Make sure you apply for jobs which fit your professional credentials.
- Check the details. Will you actually drive 60 miles to work every day? Or more importantly, do you have a way to get to work, especially if it’s in a remote area? Our recruitment consultants check all of these details before selecting who to interview.
- Are you ready for a telephone interview? Before a face-to-face interview, you will most likely be called for a quick screening. If you can’t talk at that moment, please say so. It’s better to reschedule than talk while you are shopping with your restless toddler who needs your full attention!
What to expect after your interview:
- Haven’t you heard from us the next day? The best case scenario: the client is still deciding. But this shouldn’t be a reason for distress! Give us a call and we’ll be more than happy to share any updates with you as soon as we have them. However, please rest assured that we will keep in contact with you at all times so you aren’t kept guessing.
- We call to tell you the role became unavailable. This could happen for a number of reasons, but usually, it’s one of these two: they found someone internally or the funding for that position is questionable. Either way, it’s not your fault and you should focus on your next potential role.
- They’re not a right fit for you. More and more, companies are focusing on culture and team, so your CV is not always enough. Your CV helped you secure an interview, but from that point onwards, you need to properly sell yourself and make the client understand why you’d be an asset to their company.
What can you do?
If you identified at least one point that applies to you, you’re already on the right path. Next thing you should do: step up your networking game. It’s always best to have someone recommend you for a certain role – it comes with a validation!
Ready to apply for your next role? Have a chat with one of our professional consultants and see what opportunities we have for you! You can call us on 0191 492 6622 or send your CV to us at [email protected] More blog posts