WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR
Westray Recruitment Consultants is searching for a talented and ambitious Senior Software Engineer to work day shift in Newcastle. The position will be working within the software development team creating embedded systems using C++. This position has come about due to rapid growth and consistent expansion for an impressive 65 years.
WHERE YOU WILL BE WORKING
We have the pleasure of representing an innovative and reputable rail and defence solutions manufacturer. Our client is at the forefront of technical innovation and has always been a leader in their field. This is an opportune time to join the business as our client is constantly expanding and is securing new contracts to ensure work is solidified for the next 5-10 years.
The role offers an excellent opportunity to progress and develop in a professional capacity, our client identifies strengths and invests in enhancing and growing potential. They hold mutual respect, trust and honesty as a core company value, therefore making this manufacturer a truly great place to work.
WHAT YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL CONSIST OF…
- The Senior Software Engineer will work within an engineering team of approx. 10 people delivering highly stable and reliable software for Rail industry applications.
- Developing embedded systems using C++ and writing reusable code in a modular structure.
- Being involved in the whole project/product lifecycle from initial contact and design through to implementation.
- The primary code base is in C++, with some C and C# elements.
- The Software Engineer is expected to follow good practises such as TDD during the development lifecycle through to test.
- Reports to the Software Team Leader and assists with any additional duties.
- Guide and mentor more junior members of the engineering team.
- Contribute towards continuous improvement activities.
WHAT EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS YOU WILL HAVE
- Degree qualified in an appropriate discipline OR extensive, relevant and demonstrable experience.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience of developing using C++.
- You will be a proficient C++ programmer with demonstrable experience in multi-threaded system design.
- Experience of working with and developing embedded systems.
- Experience of writing reusable code in a modular structure within a shared source tree environment.
- Experience of Linux and Python scripting and using Static Code analysis tools and Unit and Module Testing.
- Experience of design methods, tools, techniques and supporting development software within an ISO 9001 organisation.
- Having working in an AGILE environment before, ideally within a SCRUM.
- Experience of system design for video applications (e.g. H.264, MJPEG) and video based systems.
- Experience of Motor Industry Software Reliability Association (MISRA) or other safety critical development systems.
- Experience using Flexilint and SciTools, understand similar static analysis tools.
- Practical knowledge of Test Driven Development.
- Knowledge of applicable rail standards (E.g. EN50128, RIA 12/13)
- Experience of developing software to Safety Integrity Level (SIL) 1 and 2
- Knowledge of the Subversion configuration management tool or equivalent.
- Experience of working with and developing windows-based and web systems
- The flexibility to apply skills and knowledge across a number of different and quite diverse products throughout the organisation
- Experience in the development of sensor systems / products
- Experience of working with and developing systems using communications protocols. (Ethernet, RS485, RS232, TCP-IP, etc.)
- Experience of working on Rail contracts
- Membership of a Professional Engineering Institution (e.g.IET)
- Analytical and systematic individual
- Desire to investigate and utilise new technologies and methods
- Ability to adapt skills in a dynamic environment
- A team player who is able and willing to support others
- Ability to work on single-person projects and tasks
- Good inter-personal skills with the ability to communicate at all levels within the organisation and externally
- Customer and result-focussed
WHAT HOURS YOU WILL WORK
The hours of work are 37.5 hours which includes day shift with an early finish on a Friday. Flexible working hours are available.
WHAT SALARY AND BENEFITS YOU WILL RECEIVE
The role is offering a very competitive salary package depending upon experience. Candidates who are not already Chartered or Incorporated will be eligible for a Company scheme that will support them in gaining professionally qualified status.
CAREER DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
As our client are constantly harnessing industry data and emerging technologies, they are always investing in their employees to achieve their full potential, therefore career progression and development opportunities are at the forefront. If you show the willing and the want to enhance your skills, then they will give you the resources and the opportunities to do so.
FANCY A CHAT?
Please get in touch with Katherine Rivett to discuss more about this position, she is contactable on 0191 492 6622 or at [email protected]