WHAT COMPANY YOU WILL BE WORKING FOR
Westray Recruitment Consultants is looking to recruit an experienced Product Design Engineer to work on a permanent contract for our client based in the Newcastle area. The appointed Design Engineer (Product) will design and develop innovative cost-effective solutions for varied and demanding market sectors and identify cost saving opportunities within existing designs.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING IN YOUR ROLE?
- Design and develop innovative solutions both in sheet metal work and timber using 3D CAD packages
- Drive NPD projects through the business from conception through to engineering release and subsequent support for production delivery
- Carry out costing estimation activities and participate in tender cost analysis to ensure competitive bids are submitted and subsequent products are designed and implemented to submitted cost
- The Design Engineer (Product) will manage engineering change and non-conformance
- Chair/participate in new product development reviews
- Chair/participate in various meetings; internally, with suppliers and customers
- Responsible for implementation of all required manufacturing information including Bills of Materials/Production Routings/Work instructions relating to new product introduction
- Lead and participate in design reviews to ensure current and future products are robust Design For Manufacturing and value engineering ideas are realised in a timely manner
- Project manage the manufacture of engineering prototypes/customer samples through the research and development department/factory
- Check engineering release packs for drawing/model inconsistencies
- Identify existing designs where value engineering opportunities exist
- Influence by “v” manufacture decisions
- Actively participate in developing the use of 3D CAD system standardisation and capabilities
- Research new technologies that would benefit the business
- Liaise with various departments throughout the company and suppliers to highlight and take advantage of value engineering opportunities
- Manage own workload/reallocation of work as requested by the Technical Services Manager
- Undertake site visits and surveys as and when required (both in the UK and overseas)
- Support supplier/vendor assessments for purchased components
- Undertake additional duties as requested by the Technical Services Manager
WHAT EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS ARE REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION?
The Product Design Engineer will be a motivated, proactive and confident individual with energy and drive. Through your skills and experience you will play an active role in the continued development and growth of our business. You will have:
- A 2.1 or above in a relevant degree (or equivalent)
- Mechanical design engineer or industrial design
- Experience of designing sheet metal, timber and acrylic products
- Competent in the use of 3D design packages (such as Solid Edge, or similar)
WHAT ARE THE FINER DETAILS OF YOUR ROLE?
This is a permanent role comprising of a 37.5 hour week. Working times are Monday to Friday 9am-5pm.
WHAT SALARY PACKAGE YOU WILL BE RECEIVING
- The package for the Design Engineer (Product) is circa £30K
- 25 days holiday plus 8 days statutory
- Pension: 3% employee and 5% employer, up to a maximum of 6% each capped
- Cycle to work scheme
FANCY A CHAT?
Please apply for this position of Product Design Engineer and your CV will go direct to our Engineering Manager Tony Hutchinson who is leading the search. Alternatively, if you have any questions, please get in touch with Tony on 0191 492 6622 or via email at [email protected]